- Step one: try rebooting. Press center button and menu at the same time. Usually doesn't help, but can be therapeutic.
- Step two: turn your ipod into a usb/flash drive:
- reboot (press center + menu at the same time)
- immediately afterwards press center + play. This will put your ipod into disk mode. Plug into your PC
- You can now browse your file system. To find your tunes go the the iPod_Control folder (it is hidden, do make sure you display hidden folders) and go to music. Apply liberal cd or dvd backups.
- Step three: fix your problem. when in disk mode browse the \iPod_Control\ folder. order files by date. My two most recent files where: iTunesDB.old, and iTunesDB. My iTunesDB file was 1KB large. My iPodDB.old was 3 megabytes. I simply restored the old database: I renamed iTunesDB to iTunesDB.fkd and renamed iPodDB.old to iTunesDB. Like magic, got my iPod to work.